Saturday, May 11, 2019

My Week in Review: 5/4/19-5/11/19


Last week was my birthday and Hubs took me to Savannah for the weekend - of course I had to head to the huge B&N.  :)

Here are the books I want to share with you today:

Curse of a Demon King by April Rankin - 5 Stars *****


"What do you call a demon who can't come? Dead." - Brynna, witch extraordinaire

"Witches are deceitful, conniving bitches and are good for only two things: Fucking and target practice." Rhys, Overworld Demon Prince

Mistakenly accused of cursing Rhys with erectile dysfunction after a single night of uninhibited pleasure, Brynna wants nothing more to do with the demon. Granted, his grounds for believing in the curse are legitimate, but it's not her fault he hasn't been able to come for the past three months.

Rhys truly believes she's cursed him, and in order to have the hex removed, he kidnaps the witch from her coven and nullifies her powers. With all intentions of sexual torture until she removes the curse, Rhys finds himself at her mercy as the toxin in his system builds with no outlet and his strength wanes.

They must work together to find his mate before the toxin kills him. The only problem is that she could be any one of several women he'd been with that same night three months ago. And Brynna can't help thinking of that night and the passion they'd shared, a passion that still leaves her breathless. Watching him kiss all the frogs in order to find his princess is sure to drive her insane.


Can they find his mate before the toxin builds and leaves the last heir to the demon throne dead? Or will the fiery hatred between them get him first?

Shadowspell Academy by Shannon Mayer and KF Breene
4 Stars ****


You Don’t Choose The Academy. The Academy Chooses You.

I had no idea how those words would change my life. Or how they’d changed my life already…

Until the day the most dangerous man I’ve ever met waltzed onto my farm and left us a death sentence.

In an invitation.

My younger brother has been chosen for the prestigious, secret magical school hidden within the folds of our mundane world. A place so dangerous, they don’t guarantee you’ll make it out alive.

If he doesn't go our entire family will be killed.

It’s the same invitation my older brother received three years ago—the same place he mysteriously died.

The academy has already killed one sibling. I’ll be damned if they take another.

I do the only thing an older sister can: chop off my hair, strap on two bras to flatten the girls, and take my brother’s place.

Magic and monsters are real. Assassins are coming for me, and the dead are prone to rise. What’s a girl faking it as a boy supposed to do? That’s right—beat the academy at its own game.

Or die trying.

Side Effects: Vision of Despair by Dusti Dawn Rose 
4 Stars ****  


In the last week, the world has turned to madness. But Mitch is a man who overcomes, and this is no different. Now that his family is back together, all they need to do is hunker down and stay safe. At least that was the plan until one of their own was taken by a madman whose sanity has slipped away along with the world’s safety. Mitch quickly realizes that the zombies outside are not the biggest threat. The true threat lies with human fear--taking over rational thoughts which in-turn leads to devastating decisions.

Juliette knows how lucky she was to be saved by this mysterious family and invited into the relative safety of their cabin. But she is struggling to pull herself from the depths of despair as she tries to process the loss of her sister and the rest of the madness that threatens to pull her under forever. As she forms bonds with each of her new found friends, she begins to see that there is still reason to fight.

At the heart of their mismatched group is a peculiar little boy with seemingly endless wisdom and insight. But the truth of the future may prove to be a burden that is too heavy to carry, and the weight of it may snuff out the last remaining shreds of hope.

Daughter of Shadows by Zandria West - 3 Stars ***


The tips are good in Hell.

The hours are brutal.

And the clientele is... interesting.

Every night, I cross the Barrier to the demon realm to sling drinks at Hell on Earth, a bar on the edge of Darktown.

I’ve always been fascinated by demons. It’s a fascination I’ve never quite learned to control and it just might get me killed.

One fateful night, a darkly handsome, not-quite-human patron grabs my arm, leaving a magical mark burnt into my skin.

Determined to find out what the mark means, I do the unthinkable: I venture alone into the demon realm.

What I discover is terrifying.

Things are changing in Darktown. The ancient enchantment that maintains the Barrier between worlds is failing. Demons are breaking into the human realm, ready to kill.

And I just might hold the key to restoring the Barrier.

Four sexy Darktown residents are magically bound to protect me.

But can my dark protectors keep me safe for long enough that I can uncover my true destiny?

Secondborn by Amy A Bartol - 3 Stars ***


Firstborns rule society. Secondborns are the property of the government. Thirdborns are not tolerated. Long live the Fates Republic.

On Transition Day, the second child in every family is taken by the government and forced into servitude. Roselle St. Sismode’s eighteenth birthday arrives with harsh realizations: she’s to become a soldier for the Fate of Swords military arm of the Republic during the bloodiest rebellion in history, and her elite firstborn mother is happy to see her go.

Televised since her early childhood, Roselle’s privileged upbringing has earned her the resentment of her secondborn peers. Now her decision to spare an enemy on the battlefield marks her as a traitor to the state.

But Roselle finds an ally—and more—in fellow secondborn conscript Hawthorne Trugrave. As the consequences of her actions ripple throughout the Fates Republic, can Roselle create a destiny of her own? Or will her Fate override everything she fights for—even love?

That's my week.  I hope you are reading something wonderful.

Thanks for stopping by.

~Michelle 
   

No comments: