Friday, March 6, 2009

Low Red Moon and Daughter of Hounds

These are novels by Irish author Caitlin R. Kiernan. They are not a series - but have intertwining storylines and characters.

Low Red Moon - Book Blurb:

Several years after the events in Threshold, Chance and Deacon have married. They're looking ahead to the future, trying to put the past behind them. But new nightmares await them as a woman with a need for violence enters their lives. And something even worse has followed her...



Daughter of Hounds - Book Blurb:

They are the Children of the Cuckoo. Stolen from their cribs and concealed in shadows to be raised by ghouls, they are now changelings in service to the creatures who rule the world Below and despise the world Above. Any human contact is strictly forbidden and punishment is swift and severe for those who disobey.

Raised by her widower father, Emmie Silvey has a precocious personality and striking yellow eyes that have left her a solitary child. But that changes when two women enter her life-one who stalks her, one who haunts her dreams- both insisting that her entire life is a lie and warning her of an encroaching darkness.

These books are very strange. I read Silk and Threshold and thought they were duds - but I had bought all 4 books at the same time - so I had to read the other 2. (Word of advice dear friends, when trying a new author, purchase only one book - that way, if it is a dud you're not out a lot of money or forced to read bad books..LOL)

So with trepidation I grabbed Low Red Moon from the shelf and started reading and it was slow going at first - but then I did get caught up in the story and wanted to know how it ended. The with the end of Low Red Moon I had to know what happened in Daughter of Hounds so I grabbed that one and it was slow going - but then I got caught up in it as well...

The author has a very unique way of writing - it is almost as if she writes free form with no breaks and no editors... LOL But once I gained the rhythm it flowed a bit easier.

I'm not sure if I would actually suggest these books to anyone - I certainly wouldn't suggest that you buy them - but if you happen to come across them for free and have nothing else to read - go for it. LOL

I'm actually still thinking about the story as I type this and I guess that is a sign of a good book - when you still play the story over in your head after you've finished reading. Then again, I'm still trying to figure out what it all means.....

I give both of these book 3 out of 5 stars.

M

Novels by Caitlin R. Kiernan
Silk (1998)
The Five of Cups (2003)
Low Red Moon (2003)
Murder of Angels (2004)
The Dry Salvages (2004)
Beowulf (2007)
Daughter Of Hounds (2007)
The Red Tree (2009)

No comments: