Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Burning Alive : The Sentinel Wars

This is the first book in the Sentinel Wars series by Shannon K. Butcher and the story of Drake and Helen.

Book Blurb:

They are the Sentinels...

Three races descended from ancient guardians of mankind, each possessing unique abilities in their battle to protect humanity against their eternal foes - the Synestryn. Now, one warrior must fight his own desire if he is to discover the power that lies within his one true love.

Helen Day is haunted by visions of herself surrounded by flames, as a dark-haired man watches her burn. So when she sees the man of her nightmares staring at her from across a diner, she attempts to flee - but instead ends up in the man's arms. There, she awakens a force more powerful and enticing than she could ever imagine. For the man is actually Theronai warrior Drake, whose own pain is driven away by Helen's presence.

Together, they may become more than lovers - they may become a weapon of light that could tip the balance of the war and save Drake's people.

This was a pretty good read. A slightly different take on the 'manly warrior must find willing female to save his soul' story that are so abundant in today's paranormal romances.

Drake is a Theronai warrior from another planet. He and his kind have been sent to Earth to protect humans from the nasties that want to harness their power and use a portal on Earth to get to the Theronai home world where they could then draw magic from the elders of that planet and become almost invincible.

Helen is just your average gal - with a few hangups - she is terrified of fire. She has had a vision of herself engulfed in flames for as long as she can remember. She surrounds herself with fire extinguishers and feels safest in the bath tub.

When Helen sees Drake for the first time she tries to avoid him - but Drake has other ideas. One touch and both of them know that something is there - an energy, a connection. Helen, afraid of her own death, wants nothing more than to get as far away from Drake as possible. Drake, for the first time in countless years, no longer suffers from the terrible pain of carrying around vast amounts of energy - he is determined to keep Helen by his side, no matter the cost.

I give this book 4 out of 5 stars and look forward to the next installment. :)

M

Sentinel Wars
1. Burning Alive (2009)
2. Finding the Lost (2009)
Burning AliveFinding the Lost

5 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

Hi Michelle,
I knew the book when I saw the cover, such a sucker for a great cover. And the book sure sounds tempting too

Lea said...

Wow!

Lovely review Michelle! You have piqued my interest with this one. I will have to add it to my list. It is a paranormal romance then?? (Dumb question I know but I had to ask....) lol

Thank you for sharing.
L

Michelle Greathouse said...

B,

I love the cover and I was amazed when I found out just what that tattoo is - and what it means. :)

Lea,

Yes, it is a paranormal romance. LOL It doesn't have as much romance in it as some of my usual reads - but it has its moments. :)

M

Anonymous said...

Hey Michelle!! This book sounds great. I need to read more paranormals. I slack, but once I read a good one I'm hooked again.

BTW, I'm loving the red layout!! Very pretty!

Donna said...

Nice review! I need to check out this book, add it to my ever growing, lovely TBR pile. ;)