Friday, August 28, 2009

Review: Random Magic




Random Magic is the first novel by author Sasha Soren.

Book Blurb:

When absent-minded Professor Random misplaces the main character from Alice in Wonderland, young Henry Witherspoon must book-jump to fetch Alice before chaos theory kicks in and the world vanishes. Along the way he meets Winnie Flapjack, a wit-cracking doodle witch with nothing to her name but a magic feather and a plan. Such as it is. Henry and Winnie brave the Dark Queen, whatwolves, pirates, Struths, and fluttersmoths, Priscilla and Charybdis, obnoxiously cheerful vampires, Baron Samedi, a nine-dimensional cat, and one perpetually inebriated Muse to rescue Alice and save the world by tea time.


It is obvious from the book blurb that Random Magic is not my normal PNR. But the author, Sasha Soren emailed and asked if I were interested in reading this book for review and I said yes.

I am very glad I did. Random Magic is cute and quirky. I love the 'no guts, no glory' attitude of young Winnie Flapjack. Winnie is determined to see Henry through on his quest to find Alice - no matter the obstacles. And those obstacles are many - but funny.

Winnie and Henry's adventure is non stop - they move from one challenge to the next with their goal firmly in mind. Each challenge is met and overcome by Winnie using a little magic, a little daring and common sense - well, common for the world she lives in.

I really enjoyed this world Ms. Soren created and all of the characters that occupy this world. I think Random Magic would make a wonderful family movie.

The only thing that made me go hmmmm - was the book cover. The lady on the front looks just like Nicole Kidman - I wonder if that was intentional. LOL

I give Random Magic 4 out of 5 stars. :)

M

You can find Random Magic on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Random-Magic-Sasha-Soren/dp/0979777410/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251468162&sr=1-1
  • Paperback: 420 pages
  • Publisher: Beach Books, LLC; First Edition edition (January 1, 2010)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0979777410
  • ISBN-13: 978-0979777417

8 comments:

Anna said...

It looks like Nicole Kidman as Pippy Longstocking.

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

Haha - I was wondering if Nicole Kidman had written a biography!!

Donna said...

Ha! Anna says it all, totally agree.

bks2plz said...

I see you love to read. Looking for a great book?
I would like to invite you to read my new fantasy novel, "Gateway to DreamWorld." It has received rave reviews and has a shot at becoming a movie.
It has just been listed on Amazon.com and Barnes&Nobles.com

I would love to get your review of my first novel.
Brenda Estacio

Michelle Greathouse said...

Ladies,

I agree. The book was a great read - but the cover is off.

This is an ARC so maybe it's not the final cover. :) Not to give too much away - but I think the cover should be a duck shaped ship with a boy and a girl on deck and 2 black crows flying in the air. :)

M

Danielle said...

The book cover is kind of unfortunate - because when I saw it I couldn't help wondering what the Kidman connection was? If it wasn't for your review I would have read the book with the sole purpose of finding out why Nicole Kidman was on the cover.
Little bit disappointed to find out it's just a quirk. lol

You're reading 'Lord of Misrule'! Argh! Don't you just love it!? Are you totally crushing on Shane? Sorry, I see a Morganville Vampire book and I go a little bit fan-girl.

Blodeuedd said...

That's freaky, she does look like Nicole.

I am afraid I would have dissed this book cos of the cover and blurb. You never know what you might go by

Tynga said...

Hey =)
I created a new award and you have been honored!
Check out my blog to find more =)
http://tyngasreviews.blogspot.com/2009/08/new-award.html

Tynga