Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Review: Lament


This is a YA novel by Maggie Stiefvater.

Book Blurb:

Sixteen-year-old Deirdre Monaghan is a painfully shy but prodigiously gifted musician. She's about to find out she's also a cloverhand - one who can see faeries. Deirdre finds herself infatuated with a mysterious boy who enters her ordinary suburban life, seemingly out of thin air. Trouble is, the enigmatic and gorgeous Luke turns out to be a gallowglass - a soulless faerie assassin. An equally hunky - and equally dangerous - dark faerie soldier named Aodhan is also stalking Deirdre. Sworn enemies, Luke and Aodhan each have a deadly assignment from the Faerie Queen. Namely, kill Deirdre before her music captures the attention of the Fae and threatens the Queen's sovereignty. Caught in the crossfire with Deirdre is James, her wisecracking but loyal best friend. Deirdre had been wishing her life weren't so dull, but getting trapped in the middle of a centuries-old faerie war isn't exactly what she had in mind . . .

I enjoyed this book.

This books lacks some of the angst that is an underlying theme in some YA books. :)

I was intrigued by this story because it had an air of mystery about it. But on the flip side of that I was left wondering a few things...some of my questions were not answered to my satisfaction. In particular what happened to Deirdre's Gran and Aunt. I would even have liked a little more background info on why these women can see the fairies and what happened to the Mom and Aunt when they were young girls.

The story was well written and quite entertaining and the characters were easy to relate to - enough so that I am interested in reading the sequel Ballad. :)

I give this book 3 out of 5 stars.

M

Novels

Lament: The Faerie Queen's DeceptionShiverBallad


2 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

I do like the sound of this one, sounds cool and yes I can do without the angst

Tales of Whimsy said...

I adored Lament. :)