Thursday, September 17, 2009

Review: Tithe


This is the first book in The Modern Tale of Faerie series by Holly Black.

Book Blurb:

Welcome to the realm of very scary faeries!

Sixteen-year-old Kaye is a modern nomad. Fierce and independent, she travels from city to city with her mother's rock band until an ominous attack forces the sixteen-year-old back to her childhood home. There, amid the industrial, blue-collar New Jersey backdrop, Kaye soon finds herself an unwilling pawn in an ancient power struggle between two rival faerie kingdoms -- a struggle that could very well mean her death.

This was a very enjoyable read. :)

I have to say that this was a little darker than I expected and I'm not sure if I would recommend it for the younger readers - but for the YA audience, it is a pretty fascinating read.

Tithe shows the meaner side of Faerie. We get a glimpse of both the Seelie and Unseelie Courts and the inhabitants of those courts. But Tithe also introduces us to those beings that do not fit into either Court - those beings that would like nothing better than to be free.

I have the second book, Valiant, on the tbr shelf and I am looking forward to finding out more about Kaye and the beings that are now a part of her life. :)

I give Tithe 4 out of 5 stars.

M

Modern Tale of Faerie
Tithe (2002)
Valiant (2005)
Ironside (2007)
TitheValiantIronside

10 comments:

Anna said...

I love this series. Valiant and Ironside are both just as good. :)

Michelle Greathouse said...

Anna,

I blame you!! You got me hooked on YA. LOL

I picked up Revelations today at Wal-Mart, that is the 3rd one in the Blue Bloods series by Melissa De La Cruz. :)

Have a wonderful day my friend. :)

M

Ailsa said...

I was kind of torn about Tithe.

I did like it a lot more once it got going, but some of the start was just a bit too... I'm not sure what, but not particularly me-ish.
I got part way through Ironside, which my friend lent me, but I'm not enjoying that one so much either in places - I think I just don't like the characters in that one.

SciFiGuy said...

I love Holly Black's books about the fae. Exceptional writer.

Blodeuedd said...

Yes it was cool and I loved that it was darker, the way fairies should be

Anna said...

Oh, No that can't be true! LOL!

Blue Bloods is another one I enjoy too. ;)

Michelle Greathouse said...

gapyeargirl123,

Thank you for stopping by. I've had that happen to me before - it is especially frustrating when I've anticipated a book for so long and then not be able to get into it at all. :)

Doug,

I agree. I believe I may have to find Kith and Kin - those look like good ones as well. :)

B,

Absolutely. I like the darker side of faery as well. Everyone knows you're not supposed to eat or drink anything while in faery...we've just never seen what happens if you do. :)

Have a wonderful weekend. :)

M

Unknown said...

Hi Michelle!

I'm putting this on my list, hope I can find it, if not, maybe the library can search out the series for me.

Excellent review!!

Dottie :)

Michelle Greathouse said...

Dottie,

I know they have it on paperbackswap - but you have to put it on your wish list. :) It doesn't take too long to get it though.

M

Kimberly Swan said...

Great review Michelle! I haven't read these, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you think of Valiant as well. :)