Friday, December 18, 2009

Review: Tirissa and The Necklace of Nulidor


This is a novel by Willow.

Book Blurb:

One day twelve-year-old Tirissa discovers that everyone in her village is under a spell. Everyone but her! Then she sees a mysterious stranger change into a huge bird, a bird with a beak like a sword. Did he cast the spell?

Desperate to find someone who can break it, she flees, leaving her village behind. An old herbwoman tells her to seek help from a wizard who lives far away, and her journey takes her across the Three Kingdoms.

Along the way she's joined by a kindly troll and a short, fat palace guard. They are pursued by the twin princes of Kellayne, the best hunters in the Blue River Kingdom, as well as by the huge, dangerous bird.

Meanwhile, an evil wizard watches Tirissa and her friends in his magic mirror and plans a second spell that will kill everyone in the Three Kingdoms.

This book was submitted for review and I retain the book. :)

Tirissa and The Necklace of Nulidor is a wonderful book for children - but I must admit that I liked it as well. :)

The story is very fast paced. Tirissa and her friends move from one sticky situation to the next - it is a wild roller coaster ride of adventure that kept me interested from start to finish.

Younger readers (under the age of 9) may be scared of a couple of death scenes - but they are tastefully done and not graphic.

Tirissa and The Necklace of Nulidor ended with hints of future adventures - I look forward to reading more of Tirissa's stories.

The only thing that gave me pause was some of the names used - I found myself stumbling over pronunciations, and that slows me down as a reader. So I had to give a few characters nick names for the sake of time. :)

I give Tirissa and The Necklace of Nulidor 4 out of 5 stars. :)

M

    Reading level: Ages 9-12
    Paperback: 338 pages
    Publisher: Outskirts Press (August 27, 2009)
    Language: English
    ISBN-10: 143274013X
    ISBN-13: 978-1432740139

2 comments:

Willow said...

Thanks for the nice review, Michelle!

Blodeuedd said...

Sounds like a very nice story for younger kids :) I would read it