Thursday, February 11, 2010

Review: Bone Magic


This is the 7th book in the Otherworld series by Yasmine Galenorn.

Book Blurb:

We're the D'Artigo sisters: savvy--and sexy--operatives for the Otherworld Intelligence Agency. But being half-human, half-Fae short-circuits our talents at all the wrong times. My sister Delilah is a two-faced Were who turns into a golden tabby when she's stressed. And Menolly's a vampire who's still trying to get the hang of being undead. As for me? I'm Camille D'Artigo, a wicked-good witch who's learning death magic with my youkai-kitsune husband. Until now, the Moon Mother's pretty much ignored me, but she's about to take me on the Hunt of my life...

Another equinox is here, and life's getting more dangerous for all of us. The past is catching up to our friends, Iris and Chase.

Smoky--the dragon of my dreams--is forced to choose between his family and me. To top it off, there's a new demon general in town and we can't locate her.

And when the Moon Mother and the Black Beast summon me to Otherworld. I think I'm just going to reunite with my long lost soulmate. But once there, I'm forced to undergo a drastic ritual that will forever change my life, and the lives of those around me.

I enjoyed this book.

Bone Magic is told from the POV of Camille.

Not much progress is made in the fight against Shadow Wing - or the retrieval of the seals needed to contain the rift between worlds. But new information comes to light in regard to the demon general Stacia Bonecrusher.

Also Camille learns that her role in the war has shifted and she needs to place her trust very loosely in the hands of someone she does not trust.

Trillian is returned home - and this means that all three of Camille's men are in her life - and bed. Bone Magic was a little more risque than previous books.

Smokey has some family issues to deal with - this results in a possible threat to his future - as well as Camille's.

I love Iris. She has become one of my favorite characters and I wish she could have a book of her own. :) We learn a little more about the very private and close lipped talon-haltija. She has a past that haunts her and hopes to set it to right in order to have the future she holds so dear.

I give Bone Magic 4 out of 5 stars and look forward to the next installment Harvest Hunting - Delilah's book - due out in October 2010.

M

Otherworld
1. Witchling (2006)
2. Changeling (2007)
3. Darkling (2007)
4. Dragon Wytch (2008)
5. Night Huntress (2009)
6. Demon Mistress (2009)
7. The Shadow of Mist (2009) (in Never After)
8. Bone Magic (2010)
9. Etched in Silver (2010) (in Inked)
WitchlingChangelingDarklingDragon Wytch
Night HuntressDemon MistressNever AfterBone Magic
Inked

1 comment:

Danielle said...

I liked this one too. Camille is my favorite narrator. But that's mostly because her love life is awesome - Morio, Trillian AND Smoky. Hot-damn. I kind of wish 'Bone Magic' had concentrated more on Smoky's family dilemmas, because that was more interesting than the other plot, IMO.

Regarding the whole shadow-wing war, I can never remember half of the war-related stuff that happened in past books and reading 'Bone Magic' I was pretty much just nodding along with the plot developments.

Great review.