Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Review: Confessions of a Demon


This is a ROC Fantasy by S.L. Wright.

Book Blurb:

After accidentally stealing the life force of a dying demon, Allay became the only human-demon hybrid in existence. Demons feed on human emotions, so Allay decided the safest way to satisfy this need - and still retain some semblance of her humanity - was to open a bar. Here she can drink from, and ease, her patrons' pain, which has helped her to stay under the demon radar.until now.

When Allay is attacked and nearly killed by another demon, a human comes to her rescue. Theo Ram is tall, handsome, and mortal - and Allay feels a connection to him she didn't think she'd ever know. But that bond is tested when the demon community in New York begins to rise up, and two opposing clans fight for power. Now Allay is caught in the middle, and she must decide where her loyalties lie.

This was not the best book I've read and I was really looking forward to it. :)

Confessions of a Demon has a cool premise: demons live among us siphoning energy from our feelings - any feeling - good, bad or indifferent. They have names like Savor, Shock, Dread, Vex, Petrify.....you get the drift. Their name signifies what type of energy they feed off of.

And I enjoyed the first few chapters well enough - but then it bogged. Allay was just running here, there and yonder. About half way through the book I started skimming - a sure sign that I have lost interest.

Allay wants to hold on to her humanity - but that is a hard thing to do when surrounded by demons who would love nothing more than to consume you for your power.

So I have to give Confessions of a Demon 2 out of 5 stars.

M

3 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

Yikes, skimming is never a good sign Too bad it didn't hold your interest :(

Michelle Greathouse said...

B,

I agree B. If I start to skim I'm not really enjoying the book.

M

Donna said...

Uh-oh, I bought this one! I'll probably still give this one a try though.