Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Review: Black Magic Sanction


This is the 8th book in the Rachel Morgan series by Kim Harrison.

Book Blurb:

Rachel Morgan has fought and hunted vampires, werewolves, banshees, demons,and other supernatural dangers as both witch and bounty hunter--and lived to tell the tale. But she's never faced off against her own kind . . . until now.

Denounced and shunned for dealing with demons and black magic, her best hope is life imprisonment--at worst, a forced lobotomy and genetic slavery.

Only her enemies are strong enough to help her win her freedom, but trust comes hard when it hinges on the unscrupulous tycoon Trent Kalamack, the demon Algaliarept, and an ex-boyfriend turned thief.

It takes a witch to catch a witch, but survival bears a heavy price.

I absolutely love this series.

Black Magic Sanction finds Rachel a few months after her shunning and the head honchos in the Witches Coven have decided that Rachel is a threat. They want to make sure that Rachel never has children - and they also want to make sure that she never practices magic again.

To this end - the Coven sends a witch after Rachel - a white witch, but the magic she is throwing at Rachel is unlike anything Rachel has ever seen. It is strong and dangerous - even if it is of the white variety.

Rachel is no longer safe in her own home - and she has no idea who to trust. Though Ivy and Jenks have her back - their hands are tied. That leaves Al - who is always out for himself - he is a demon after all. Pierce - who is Al's familiar and just a little too quick throwing the black magic around - and Trent and Nick - who are not demons - but also looking out for number one.

Black Magic Sanction is an awesome read - another installment in this wonderful series that I love so much.

I have to say that I was saddened by a certain event that occurs in this story. :( Though I knew it was coming in one form or another - I was not ready for it. LOL

I love this entire world that Ms. Harrison has created. She is one of the few authors I've read that I consider a story teller - and I say that with respect. She has created a world - and populated that world with engaging characters - weaving their stories flawlessly.

I give Black Magic Sanction 5 out of 5 stars. :)

M

Dead Witch WalkingThe Good, the Bad, and the UndeadEvery Which Way But DeadA Fistful of Charms
For a Few Demons MoreThe Outlaw Demon WailsWhite Witch, Black CurseBlack Magic Sanction

2 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

Didn't really read, book 8! Wow, but a 5 sounds good enough for me

Danielle said...

I did not like the 8th installment, at all!
I thought Rachel was so wishy-washy. Where the heck did her aversion to violence come from and why was she so sickened by Ivy and Jenks' willingness to defend her?
And I didn't like the fact that there's another 'Marshal' character in the form of Pierce who hogged all the limelight and cut Ivy and Jenks' roles in half.

It did have some good moments and some intense scenes (I bawled my eyes out too) but this was my least favorite book in her series so far.