Friday, July 9, 2010

Review: Bond of Blood


Bond of Blood is the first full length novel in the Texas Vampire series by Diane Whiteside and a Berkley Sensation Paranormal Romance.

Book Blurb:

Once a medieval Spanish knight, Don Rafael Perez has been a vampire for seven centuries, clinging to his code of honor despite years of torture. He has risen to become the leader of the largest vampire territory in North America, spanning Texas and Oklahoma. But a cruel and seductively cunning rival is challenging his rule - fanning flames of all-out war.

Adept at sending women into raptures of ecstasy while he feeds, Rafael has many willing lovers. But into his domain comes a woman he must deny himself: Grania O'Malley, a new veterinarian at the world-renowned Texas Hill Country Raptor Center. Rafael soon realizes he shares a bond with Grania he can't explain and doesn't trust. But neither can he stay away from her.

Grania, convinced that she can find a suitable husband through scientific research, has no explanation for why her body turns to molten fire at the mere sight of Rafael - or why her very existence tempts Rafael into breaking every rule of both his body and his mind just when he needs to be stronger than ever...


Bond of Blood was an okay read.

This book is more of an erotic paranormal romance - where the vampire is more lover than fighter.

Not that Don Rafael is less than manly - it is just that after countless years of being tortured and passed around as whipping boy/sex slave extraordinaire: Don Rafael would rather woo his food than chase it. And apparently his method works because he has no shortage of willing donors.

Being a foundling raised by the orphanage, Grania is not very experienced in love or loved ones. She worked very hard to get where she is and is very dedicated to her work.

I have to say that I was not overwhelmed with this read. It was not bad - but it did not stand out.

I really liked the flashbacks of Rafael's previous life and the life of his wife and children - that was very interesting. I was also very pleased with the final fight scene - go action. :)

If you are a fan of steamy, sexy stuff - then this is a must read for you. There is plenty of it to go around.

I give Bond of Blood 3 out of 5 stars and I have the remaining 2 installments on the tbr shelf.

M

Bond of FireBond of DarknessThe Hunter's PreyBond of Blood


7 comments:

Cecile Smutty Hussy said...

I actually have been storing up this series. I find them one at a time at Borders... and I think I need number 2. But this is the first review I have seen of them!! Great review you did for it! I bought it just because it looked different and I liked the concept of it. So.. I am really interested in reading them now!
Hope you have a great weekend honey!

Blodeuedd said...

Meh not so impressed by the sound of this one

Michelle Greathouse said...

Cecile,

I hope you enjoy them and I look forward to your reviews. :) Have a wonderful weekend.

B,

Yes, it probably isn't one you would like. LOL Have a great weekend.

M

Anonymous said...

okay i was reading this and my reactions were:
C= :| :0

the blurb and the cover really make it sound good but then i read your review (great one, by the way;) and thought "not my type, definitely"
leo (from for the love of reading)

Michelle Greathouse said...

PaperDoll,

That was pretty much my reaction while reading the book. LOL

It really disappoints me when the back blurb sounds so much better than the book actually turns out to be.

This was not a bad read - just not a memorable one.

Have a wonderful weekend and thanks for stopping by.

M

Danielle said...

I really love the 'Texas Vampires' trilogy. It's a very different paranormal romance - mostly because all three books are about the same plot, told from different perspectives (and with lengthy character flashbacks thrown in). It's a bit different and very steamy. Don Rafael is my favorite!

Michelle Greathouse said...

Danielle,

See, a different opinion is always a plus. :) Just because it wasn't memorable for me - doesn't mean it won't be a terrific read for someone else. :)

Thanks for stopping by and giving your take on Bond of Blood.

Have a wonderful weekend.

M