Thursday, July 29, 2010

Review: Ghostland by Jory Strong


Ghostland is the first book in the Ghostland series by Jory Strong and an Urban Fantasy Romance by Penguin.

Book Blurb:

In a post-apocalyptic world where supernaturals have emerged from hiding, wealthy humans delight in decadence while the religious gain power through temptation. For the masses, fear reigns from birth to death, and the afterlife holds beings that only the bravest can summon - or dare to desire...

Taken from her home and family, shamaness Aisling McConaughey has no choice but to enter the "ghostlands" in order to learn the fate of a wealthy man's mistress. But there is always a price to pay for the use of her power. To save the woman's life she must summon the Djinn prince Zurael en Caym - and yield to his savage, sensual rage.

Zurael fears nothing except being called and bound to a human's will. He intends to kill Aisling after she's served as bait to find an enemy in possession of an ancient tablet. But the more he tastes of her innocent spirit, the more he'll use his fiery touch and seductive whispers to keep her hungry for his mercy - even as they weave an erotic spell that he cannot escape...

Powerful forces threaten both their worlds, leaving Aisling and Zurael with an unbearable choice: follow their hearts...or stay true to their honor and risk losing an eternity of pleasure.

My thoughts on Ghostland are conflicted. :)

Aisling has not had the easiest life. Born into a world that has been utterly devastated by war - a war that paved the way for the supernaturals to emerge and take control - Aisling lives in fear of one day being taken. Taken because of her gifts.

Aisling can enter the Ghostlands - the area 'in between', and she can communicate with the beings that reside there. Using these beings as guides, Aisling can find people who have died or are near death. But at a price - Aisling must always pay a price.

During a trip to the Ghostlands Aisling uncovers magic of the blackest kind - and in her haste to stop the ceremony she calls upon a name. A name she is not familiar with - and hopes she can contain the being that appears.

Zurael is angered beyond reason when he is summoned from his home. He has no respect for the 'children of mud' and feels that his life would be better if they were all dead - then the threat of summoning would be gone.

Zurael does as commanded and then vows to return and kill the woman who summoned him. But when Zurael returns home - he can't get the woman out of his head, and he can't deny the attraction he feels.

Ghostland was and okay read. Some parts were better than others. I like the concept - very unique. But it was up and down - and that made for slow reading.

This book has plenty of steamy sexy moments - and if that is your cuppa, then this is the book for you. But that bothered me a little as well. If someone were trying to kill me - and I wasn't sure of my safety - I don't think I would stop and go to happy town. But that's just me. LOL

I give Ghostland 2 out of 5 stars.

M


4 comments:

Unknown said...

This title caught my attention, but I think I'm going to skip it. Thank you for your candid review!

Blodeuedd said...

Oh buu, I had such hopes for this one, but now I am unsure.
Great review M

Michelle Greathouse said...

ABM,

You are welcome. :) But as always, my reviews are my opinion only - and you may find others who love Ghostland. :) I liked the world in Ghostland enough to try the next book in the series. Thank you for stopping by.

B,

If your library gets it in and you want to read something different - give it a try. :)


M

Lea said...

Great review Michelle. I've seen this book around the blogspots and was intrigued by it's description and the cover.

Hmmm, I don't think it is my cup of tea though. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!