Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Review: Afterlife by Merrie Destefano


The Resurrection Chronicles: Afterlife is a novel of Fiction by Merrie Destefano from EOS.

Book Blurb:

Welcome to your next chance.

Chaz Dominguez is a professional Babysitter in New Orleans, helping to integrate the recently deceased into their new and improved lives. Though Fresh Start has always been the only game in town, resurrection isn't all it's cracked up to be. Nine lives are all a person can get - and a powerful group of desperate, high-level Nine-Timers will stop at nothing to possess the keys to true immortality.

Now the only hope for Chaz and his family - and the human race - lies in the secrets locked away in the mind of Angelique, the beautiful, mysterious Newbie he must protect . . .

My thoughts:

Chaz Dominguez grew up in the family business of resurrection - even though he himself is a One Timer - someone who chooses to live the one life he is given rather than have his memories downloaded into an awaiting clone.

As a Babysitter, Chaz has the responsibility of staying with the newly resurrected until all memories are in place and the “Newbie” has acclimated to his/her new body.

Some very unsavory characters are paying more than passing attention to his latest ‘newbie’, his brother is acting more secretive than usual, clones are dropping dead all over the world and the newbie is trying to stay sane while the world falls apart.  

Chaz has no idea who he can trust - but he knows whatever is going on has something to do with who his ‘newbie’ - Angelique, was before she resurrected.  Now he just has to figure everything out before it’s too late.

I enjoyed Afterlife - it has a very cool concept unlike anything I’ve read before.

If there was one drawback for me it would be the fact that each chapter is written from a different POV - four people and then a dog.  I never like that - though I must admit, in this case the book did not feel choppy. 

I give Afterlife 3 out of 5 stars.

3 comments:

bittenbyromance said...

Nice review. I haven't seen this book. Neat cover but I think I will pass on the book.

Michelle Greathouse said...

Laurie,

Thank you. It is a bit different. I enjoyed it well enough - aside from the different POV's.

M

Blodeuedd said...

I can work with different POVS but in a book like this...not so much. It would have thrown me too