Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Review: River Marked by Patricia Briggs

River Marked is the sixth book in the Mercedes Thompson series by Patricia Briggs and a novel from ACE.

Book Blurb:

Coyote shifter Mercy Thompson knows that life with her mate, the Alpha werewolf Adam, will never be boring, but even their wedding doesn’t go as planned.  Nevertheless, a ten-day honeymoon camping on the banks of the Columbia River, alone, just the two of them, should make up for it.  But the trip - and the pimped-out trailer they’re using - is courtesy of the fae.  And nothing from the fae comes without strings attached...

Being a different breed of shapeshifter - a walker - Mercy can see ghosts, but the spirit of her long-gone father has never visited her.  Until now.  An evil is stirring in the depths of the Columbia River - and innocent people are dying.  As other walkers make their presence known to Mercy, she must reconnect with her heritage to exorcise the world of the legend known as the river devil...

My thoughts:

Mercy and Adam head out on their honeymoon - ten wonderful days alone on the banks of the Columbia River.  No pack business to worry about - no cars to fix - nothing to get in the way of some much needed private time.

Well, that was the plan.

Uncle Mike ‘loaned’ Adam his fancy new camper and suggested Adam take the camper and Mercy up to the River to check on the otterkin that had been relocated to the area.

When they arrive, Mercy and Adam find that folks have gone missing all up and down the River and it sounds like no ordinary missing persons case.

Adam, as the werewolf Alpha, is quite accustomed to dealing with were’s, vamps, fae and even witches - but now he has encountered something new to him - Native American Earth magic - and he’s not so sure how to deal with it.

Mercy is getting in touch with her Indian side - and learning a little more about her heritage - but will it be enough to stop the evil that has been unleashed on the unsuspecting population?

I love the Mercy series - but River Marked was really slow going.  It did not really kick in for me until around page 200 - and it is only a 324 page book.  But when it did - it was pretty good. :)

I give River Marked 3 out of 5 stars.

4 comments:

Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I agree it was kind of slow-going. For me, part of the problem was the missing secondary characters, who make the books so much richer! This was my take, if you're interested: http://redhotbooks.blogspot.com/2011/03/review-river-marked.html

Ann Summerville said...

Thanks for the review. I'm not sure I would have continued reading after the first 50 pages if it was really slow.
Ann

Michelle Greathouse said...

Jen,

I read your review and it was spot on - I really like your review style. :)

Cozy In Texas,

I normally give a book 100 pages and if it hasn't caught my attention by then - I put it aside. But because this is an installment in one of my favorite series - I hung in there. :)

Thanks for stopping by ladies.

M

Blodeuedd said...

Eeeeek *hiding*
But only a 3 *sad*