Friday, October 7, 2011

M.M.F.F. Challenge: Week #61


Amy C over at Romance Book Wyrm and Dottie over at Tink's Place have come up with the idea for a Monday Morning Flash Fiction challenge. Each Monday a new picture prompt will be posted and if you choose to participate - you post your story on Friday - 350 words, give or take.  

And here is picture prompt #61:






Destiny Awaiting
By Michelle Greathouse


Lightning lit the sky, just in time for Roni to dodge the cobble stone that would have surely sent her stumbling to her knees.  The clap of thunder that followed shook her to the core.


Of all the dumb ass things a person could do - rambling around a cemetery in the middle of the night - during a lightning storm, no less - was right at the top of the ‘dumb ass things to do’ list.


When the UPS truck pulled into the drive this morning, Roni was tickled, thinking that she was receiving a new batch of review books.  As the UPS man handed her a registered letter, she was confused to say the least. 


After signing her name, Roni took the heavy vellum envelope and sat on the sofa.  She could not explain the sense of foreboding that envelope triggered - almost a primal need to run, fast and far.


Shaking off her trepidation, Roni opened the envelope and extracted a single sheet of paper, the same heaviness as the envelope.


She glanced first at the return address, and was relieved to see her grandmothers name, her chest eased immeasurably.  She read:


My Dearest Veronica,    


I would imagine that you are quite surprised to be receiving this letter six months after my death.  I do apologize for any unease you may be feeling.


As you know, your mother and I were estranged the last ten years of my life.  For this I am profoundly saddened.  I realize that you were placed in the middle of our disagreement, even though we both tried our best to keep that from happening.


We never wanted our feelings for each other to tarnish how you felt about us.


It is for this reason that I had this letter delivered now - the day after your twenty-first birthday.  You have come into your majority and all of your inheritance is yours for the taking.    


But there are other, less material things that you've inherited.  Things your mother does not want you to have.  Your rightful inheritance.  


I will say no more and leave the decision to you.  If you are the woman I know you to be, you will be intrigued.

Come to my crypt tonight at midnight.


Your destiny awaits.


All My Love,
Gamma       

Gamma was right, Roni was intrigued - and smart enough not to tell her mother where she was going.

But now, with the lightning flashing and the thunder rumbling, Roni wished she’d told someone where to find her.

She took the last right, between Betty Boop and a statue of the Archangel Gabriel, and stood before her Gamma’s crypt.  It creeped her out a bit that light was shining from within.

Squaring her shoulders, she pushed the heavy door open, just as the sky let loose with a torrent of rain.

Roni entered, quickly turned and pushed the door closed, blocking the wind and rain from following her inside.  “Great, looks like I’ll be getting wet on the way back to my car.  Why didn’t I bring an umbrella - or a boat?”

She turned at the sound of a throaty chuckle.

“You never were one to prepare for the unexpected, dear.”

“Gamma?  What the hell?  You’re dead ”

The End
Word Count: 542

I know, it has been way to long since I participated in MMFF - and I missed it.

Hope you liked this one.  I’m hoping to be able to continue it for the month of October - we’ll see how it works out with the pics.

Have a great weekend

2 comments:

Anachronist said...

When the UPS truck pulled into the drive this morning, Roni was tickled, thinking that she was receiving a new batch of review books.

Lol exactly like me! A spooky story but very nice, thank you!

Blodeuedd said...

Yay, I am so glad you are back Michelle! I missed your stories a lot!

And then you deliver another good one :D