Sunday, July 23, 2017

My Week in Review: 7/15/17-7/22/17


I was a little all over the place last week.  Again, I started and stopped a few books because I just could not get invested for one reason or the other.  Also I've been watching iZombie on my lunch break instead of reading.  :)  

Here are the books I enjoyed last week.

Conspiracy Theory by Rich Restucci - 4 Stars ****


Immunity. Everyone wants it. One man has it. 

Our hero, if you can call him that, must escape from the government facility he is incarcerated in. Escape the certifiable, alphabet-agency super-spook who seized him and dragged him across the country. Elude an army of doctors and soldiers who think he is the answer to the plague of the living dead. Flee back to his friends, a continent away.

Can he safely traverse a ruined United States crawling with insatiable, infected cannibals? Should he stay in the impregnable fortress, do his duty, and submit to the testing in hopes he can save everyone?


What’s an immune, arrogant, rude, criminal to do?

Star Witch by Helen Harper - 4 Stars ****


Lights. Camera. Inaction.

Ivy Wilde, the laziest witch in the West, is still entangled with the Hallowed Order of Magical Enlightenment. That's not a bad thing, however, because it gives her plenty of excuses to spend more time with sapphire eyed Raphael Winter, her supposed nemesis. And when he comes knocking because he needs her to spy on the latest series of Enchantment, she jumps at the chance. Hanging around a film set can't be hard ... or dangerous ... right?

Fury of a Phoenix by Shannon Mayer - 4 Stars ****


"I knew the sins of my past would call to collect what was left of my soul. If I'd known the price I'd pay, I would've sacrificed more to stay hidden from the magic." 
 
In the middle of Wyoming--away from the abnormals of the world--I thought I was free and clear. I started a new life. Found a love I'd never known in a husband, and a son who was my everything. 
 
And in a blinding instant, that life was stolen from me. 
 
The rage of a grieving mother is an ugly beast. More so when she has the skills and killer instinct to back up the wrath and the knowledge that an accident was anything but. 
 
Once more, I will pick up my guns. This time to hunt those who took my husband's and son's lives.
 
Let them see the assassin, trained to kill abnormals, stalk the shadows again. 
 
Let them see the Phoenix rise from the fragments of a broken life as she burns with a fury that cannot be contained.
 
Let the killing games begin.

A Cross To Bear by M J Lovestone - 3 Stars ***


Gabriella Cross, a magazine reporter living outside of Chicago, is devastated when her sister is found dead. Intent on finding the killer, she follows the trail to billionaire playboy Michael Steele. When she finally confronts the mysterious man, Gabby is plunged into an ancient war between werewolves and vampires. Dark secrets are revealed, and she discovers that she has a unique power, one that has made her a target. 

Can Gabby embrace her power and bring justice to her sister's killer?

The Unlikeable Demon Hunter: Sting by Deborah Wilde
3 Stars ***


50% boobs. 50% sarcasm. 100% new breed of hunter.

After a bumpy start as the only female demon hunter in the top secret Brotherhood of David, Nava Katz heads to Prague for her first undercover mission: unmasking a demon movie star. She’d be all kinds of thrilled if it weren’t for the fact that her fellow hunter-with-benefits, Rohan Mitra, has reclaimed his rock star status and assigned Nava the role of groupie.

Rejecting her “be a good girl and follow orders” directive, Nava unleashes an alter ego guaranteed to hook their celebrity target and drive Rohan crazy. No downside–until she finds herself up against Rohan’s past, the Brotherhood’s antiquated thinking, and her own identity issues, turning her personal life into a bomb that could blow up the entire operation.

Sparkly and deadly; it’s a plan.

Army of Stone by Leo Romero - 3 Stars ***


I’m Gabriel Stone. Angel Enforcer. Card shark maestro. Marked for death.

An elfish, satanic cult wish to fulfil the prophecy of the Dark Bearer and bring Hell to Earth. That means sacrificing Aurora. As the higher echelons of Heaven have put her under my protection, it’s my duty to stop them.

But I’ve got my own problems. Both the cartel werewolves and the vampire triads have greenlighted me for execution. Looks like they’ve put a powerful gargoyle on my case and he’s determined to complete his contract.

But maybe there’s more to this gargoyle business than meets the eye. Half-angel bounty hunters are turning up dead and there’s a familiar pattern to their demise. Someone is waging war on the Angel Guild and as an Enforcer, I’ll have to step up my game if I’m going to save both myself and the Guild from extinction.

I just hope I can survive past next week or we’ll all go to Hell.

Soul Breaker by Clara Coulson - 3 Stars ***


There’s a hideous monster on the loose, crushing heads and taking names.

But Detective Calvin Kinsey is on the case!

Two years ago, Cal Kinsey was an up-and-coming cop in the Aurora Police Department. But during a fateful nighttime stakeout in search of a prolific killer, Cal witnessed the darkest corner of his dreams come to life. A rogue vampire slaughtered his partner—to put it nicely—and introduced Cal to the supernatural world he never knew existed in the shadows.

Now, Cal is a newly minted detective at the often mocked Department of Supernatural Investigations. By day, the agents of DSI are called “Kooks” by local law enforcement. By night, they’re known as “Crows,” reviled by the supernatural underworld.

Mere weeks out of the academy, Cal catches his first real case, a vicious murder at a local college. An unknown sorcerer has summoned a powerful creature from the Eververse, a realm of magic and mayhem that borders Earth, and set it on a dangerous warpath through the city.

Between butting heads with his grumpy team captain, stirring up ill will with the local wizards and witches, and repeatedly getting the crap beaten out of himself, Cal must find a way to stop the Eververse monster and send it back to the hell it came from…

…preferably before Aurora, Michigan runs out of coffins for the dead.

Okay, that covers my week in reading.  :)  I hope you found some great books to read.  

Thanks for stopping by,
Michelle

No comments: