Sunday, August 13, 2017

My Week in Review: 8/5/17-8/12/17


I am super excited about last weeks' reading.  I found a couple of new to me authors that I am really looking forward to reading more from - and that makes me do the happy reading dance.  It really embarrasses my husband when I do that dance in public.  :)

Here's my list:

10:37 by Jacqueline Druga - 4 Stars **** 


In a single moment of time, ninety percent of the world’s population drops dead. Throats closing, they choke and unable to breathe… they die within seconds. It is just the beginning.

Judd Bryant, a survivor who does not succumb to the horrendous death, is a talented man with a zest for living. He faces his darkest hour until he finds a purpose in the form of Dawson, an eight-year-old boy with an unusual gift.

The unlikely pair set out to find others, only to realize that each passing day is increasingly more dangerous than the one before. Their road becomes an obstacle course filled with unimaginable disasters.

Before long, they and a few other survivors come to the realization that the instant death of billions of people isn’t the end, it is the start of a massive natural event. A phenomenon that will change the face of the earth and in the process, push the boundaries of ‘survival of the fittest’.


The extinction of mankind is at hand and not how they imagine.

Battle Field Z by Chris Lowry - 4 Stars ****


After the world collapses when a zombie plague sweeps the nation, a three time father has two choices. Stay hiding in his house or go hunt for his children with their mother and step-father just to make sure they're safe.

How tragic would it be if you had no idea what happened to your kids when a disaster occurred? No amount of survivalist training can prepare you for a break down in society when all the tools we use to stay in touch are no longer available.

When Dad decides to take off from Florida to Arkansas to check on the safety of his children, he discovers Z aren't the only awful things left in the world. The survivors are just as ruthless, just as deadly and the only way to really survive is with off the cuff gallows humor.

Victim Zero by Joshua Guess - 4 Stars ****


The plague was born from hope.

It was meant to change the world. To cure the incurable and rebuild the broken. When the world ended, the weight of its dead fell on the shoulders of the man at the heart of it all.

For Kell McDonald, survival is not enough.

Alone and surrounded by enemies, he must find a way to do what only he can: find a cure, and perhaps redemption.

Smoke and Shadows by Katerina Martinez - 4 Stars ****


My name is Maxine Cartwright, and as of this morning, I'm a fugitive.

New Seattle is a Shining City, one of the few remaining oases of civilization left in the world, but it isn't without it's problems. That's where I come in. I'm a hunter; a mage employed by the Faction to hunt down Fallen mages and bring them in dead or alive. It's a good gig, and one I've been doing for years. I have a reputation, or notoriety, depending on how you see things, and more enemies than I can count. Now one of those enemies is trying to frame me for a terrible crime I didn't commit, and the worst part is my own people can't look me in the eye and tell me they know I'm innocent. My only choice is to run away from the only life I've ever known, and figure out who is going out of their way to put me down.

Cut off from my friends and the people I once relied on for backup, I reluctantly accept the help of a man wanted for questioning concerning his potential ties to the Fallen. But how am I supposed to trust someone who could be a terrorist? Then again, how can he trust me? Proving my innocence will be the hardest thing I've ever done, but before I can do that I'm going to have to learn the truth about the world I live in, and uncover the lies I've been told my whole life.

Moon Dance by J R Rain - 3 Stars ***


Six years ago federal agent Samantha Moon was the perfect wife and mother, your typical soccer mom with the minivan and suburban home. Then the unthinkable happens, an attack that changes her life forever. And forever is a very long time for a vampire.

Now working the night shift as a private investigator, Samantha is hired by Kingsley Fulcrum to investigate the murder attempt on his life, a horrific scene captured on TV and seen around the country. But as the case unfolds, Samantha discovers Kingsley isn't exactly what he appears to be; after all, there is a reason why he survived five shots to the head.

Made in Hell by Celia Kyle - 3 Stars ***


I’m Caith Morningstar: bar owner, leather wearer, shoe worshipper, werewolf, Orlando’s resident ass kicker and… Satan’s niece.

For the love of all that is unholy, I really thought the demons of the world were smarter than to screw with me. But they’re doing it. Again. Catatonic people are being found across the city, all of them members of a new cult. All the followers have to do is pray to their new goddess and all will be well… while she sucks the very life out of them. What makes it worse? The bitch involved my son in her schemes. Didn’t she learn what happens when someone touches what’s mine? I’ll be sure to show her.

Add in Uncle Luc’s arrival with his still pregnant baby momma along with a request to keep her safe, and my life is just awesome. (Total sarcasm.)

It isn’t long before I realize the “goddess” wants to destroy the world, and her ticket to the top is through the baby in the mommy-to-be’s belly.

Now I’m running, I’m killing, I’m saving the world, and I’m… trying to hang on to my angelic mate, Sam. I’m pretty sure I’m going to fail at one of those. I just hope it’s not Sam.

That was my reading week.  I hope you found some fantastic ones as well.

As always, thanks for stopping by.
Michelle 

No comments: