Saturday, April 27, 2019

My Week in Review: 4/20/19-4/27/19


We just came in from our Easter get together and it was such a beautiful day.  The grandbaby is not quite ready to hunt eggs, but he ate like a big boy.  :)  

Here are the books I want to share with you today:

Caravan Witch by Shannon Mayer - 4 Stars ****


As if surviving the end of the world, and the theft of my powers weren’t enough on their own, a heaping pile of Ogre and a side of human raiders has been added to my plate while trying to feed our starving caravan.

The worst of what I face though is far harder to admit. My black magic takes it’s pound of flesh every time I use it, and each time the cost climbs. And yet, it calls to me, seducing me, all the while consuming little pieces of my soul. It’s a right bastard like that.


I don’t know how much longer I can withstand its strength, because in this world strength is safety, and safety is all I can offer those around me. May the gods have mercy on me, because I don’t have it in me to refuse the magic that blackens my blood any longer….

Fire Born by Rayanne Haines - 4 Stars ****


Independent, tough as nails, and fierce to her core, Alex Taleisin can't quite believe it when she has to fight for her life against something not-quite-human in the YMCA parking lot.

That's when her aunt lets her in on the family secret. They're immortal--Elementals to be precise, and Alex is the long-lost daughter of the strongest female warrior of their time.

Her guardian (a freaking Dragon!) and the sexiest man Alex has ever seen gives her a choice. Go with him, learn how to control her fire, and find her father's people, or try to survive on her own. It's an easy choice considering she's only twenty-six. And the Elders may already be on her trail thanks to the fight with the nut job in the parking lot kick-starting her dormant DNA.

Enter an insane grandfather, a shifter with a hidden agenda, and a witch with a shoe addiction, and suddenly loner Alex is wishing for a quiet house in the hills with the dragon she's falling for.

But a fight is coming and Alex knows the only way to find her answers is to trust her powers and become the warrior she was destined to be.

The Colony by Kathleen Groger - 4 Stars ****



Sixteen-year-old Val lives by these three rules etched on her arm. Her rules and her gun are the only things standing between her and assimilation by hordes of human-looking aliens she calls Raspers.

By day, Val gathers supplies. By night, she hides and wishes she could go back in time...before her family died...before the annihilation...before the Raspers began stalking her and demanding she join their collective.

But when the Raspers attack in broad daylight, the truth becomes startlingly clear.

They're evolving.

A fellow survivor crashes into Val's life. Adam's full of charm and promises--like rumors of a safe haven--but there's something wrong. He's survived with no supplies, no weapons...no plans. Time is running out. With the formula for survival shifting around her, Val must decide how many rules she's willing to break to escape the Colony.

Nice Dragons Finish Last by Rachel Aaron - 3 Stars ***


As the smallest dragon in the Heartstriker clan, Julius survives by a simple code: keep quiet, don’t cause trouble, and stay out of the way of bigger dragons. But this meek behavior doesn't fly in a family of ambitious magical predators, and his mother, Bethesda the Heartstriker, has finally reached the end of her patience.

Now, sealed in human form and banished to the DFZ--a vertical metropolis built on the ruins of Old Detroit--Julius has one month to prove he can be a ruthless dragon or kiss his true shape goodbye forever. But in a city of modern mages and vengeful spirits where dragons are considered monsters to be exterminated, he’s going to need some serious help to survive this test.

He only hopes humans are more trustworthy than dragons...

Demon Slayer by Linsey Hall - 3 Stars ***


Got a demon that needs killing? I’m your girl.


So, I'm in trouble. Big trouble. I'm a demon slayer, and one of those suckers has escaped. Even worse, it knows my secret... that I'm a Dragon Blood, able to create new magic and kick some serious butt with it.

If anyone finds out what I am, I'll be hunted down like a dog and used by the magical government. No way I want to become their guinea pig. So I've got to catch that demon. Fast.

Things get complicated when I start clashing with a sexy AF bounty hunter. His name's Declan, and we're after the same demon. Bounty hunters are my enemy, and this stupidly hot fallen angel keeps getting in my way.

The only way to save the city--and myself--is to team up with Declan. I have two goals: don’t kill him & don’t screw him. Both easier said than done, since self control isn’t really my thing. But it’s a race against time to catch the demon, and there’s no way in hell I’ll fail at that.

That's my week.  I hope you are reading something wonderful.

Thanks for stopping by.

~Michelle

1 comment:

Greg said...

Looks like a fun bunch of reads. :)