Thursday, July 16, 2009

Review: Norse Code



This is a novel by Greg Van Eekhout.

Book Blurb:

Is this Ragnarok, or just California?

The NorseCODE genome project was designed to identify descendants of Odin. What it found was Kathy Castillo, a murdered MBA student brought back from the dead to serve as a valkyrie in the Norse god's army. Given a sword and a new name, Mist's job is to recruit soldiers for the war between the gods at the end of the world - and to kill those who refuse to fight.

But as the twilight of the gods descends, Mist makes other plans.

Journeying across a chaotic American landscape already degenerating into violence and madness, Mist hopes to find her way to Helheim, the land of the dead, to rescue her murdered sister from death's clutches. To do so, she'll need the help of Hermod, a Norse god bumming around Los Angeles with troubles of his own. Together they find themselves drafted into a higher cause, trying to do what fate long ago deemed could not be done: save the world of man. For even if myths aren't made to be broken, it can't hurt to go down fighting - can it?

This was a little different. :)

The book blurb makes it sound like this book is about Mist - and it is...but I found that Hermod moved to the fore front and took over the book. Not that I am complaining because he is an interesting character.

This book is full of Norse mythology and the end of the world as told from that point of view. Hermod and Mist are trying to forestall the destruction of everything they know and they encounter some pretty nasty things in the process.

Norse Code was a slow starter for me - but I'm glad I hung in there - all in all, it was a pretty good read.

I give this book 3 out of 5 stars.

M

8 comments:

Cecile Smutty Hussy said...

I just recently read a book like that... that I was eventually glad that I stuck through it, but it was a hard read for me.

This sounds like a totally different read for me. It has piqued my interest... Will write down to obtain later!

Great review!!! I hope you are having a wonderful day!

Lea said...

Sounds like something altogether different Michelle!

Thank you for sharing.

Best
L

Blodeuedd said...

I think I would like to read it just cos, well Norse people up here :)
So it would be fun to see the mythology I know so well there

VampFanGirl said...

Hey Michelle!

Hmm...I don't think this one is my cuppa but thanks for the review and recommendation!

;) VFG

Michelle Greathouse said...

Cecile,

I am having a wonderful day. I hope you are as well. Sometimes it is hard sticking with the slow reads...I'm glad this one worked out. :)

Lea,

You are welcome. Thank you for stopping by. :)

B,

I'd be happy to send it to you. Email me your address at kweenmg at yahoo dot com. :)

VFG,

I hear ya, LOL, no vampires in this one - there are a few zombies though.

M

Donna said...

I was considering this book, it does sound interesting and I like the cover. Thanks for the review, I'll probably give it try now.

Kimberly Swan said...

Hi Michelle - Sounds interesting and very different! Great review. :)

Unknown said...

Hi Michelle!

Great review, sounds like my type of read. I also love mythology, so I'll have to look into this one.

Thanks!

Dottie :)