Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday - My Favorite Book Series

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and The Bookish.  Each Tuesday we're given a book related topic and we post our top ten favorites for that topic.


This week is a freebie topic - and my first week participating.  I've chosen to list my Top Ten Favorite Book Series.


1.  Immortals After Dark - Kresley Cole

  • I had the first book in the series on my tbr shelf for some time before reading it - due to the less than spectacular cover.  This series is amazing and thankfully, the covers are much improved.
2.  Stephanie Plum - Janet Evanovich

  • I was in the book store one day - just waiting for something to jump out at me - when the manager handed me the first book in this series.  She said if I wanted a good laugh - this was the series for me.  I went home, read the book in one sitting then went back to the book store the next day and bought the next three books in the series.
3.  In Death - J D Robb

  • My father gave me the fourth book in this series.  I had not read the previous books, so left it on the shelf for a couple of years.  I happened across the first book at the thrift store and bought it - read it - and had to have the rest of the series.
4.  Sookie Stackhouse - Charlaine Harris

  • Long before True Blood, I found the Sookie Stackhouse omnibus edition, Dead in Dixie, from the Science Fiction Book Club.  This edition includes the first three books in the series.  I loved it!
5.  Rachel Morgan - Kim Harrison

  • I found the second and third book in this series at the grocery store of all places.  I loved the back blurbs so bought them both - went home and put up my groceries and then headed to the book store in search of the first book.  I was immediately hooked.
6.  Black Dagger Brotherhood - J R Ward

  • This is another omnibus I picked up from the SFBC - this one contains the first two books in the series.  I wasn't immediately hooked on this series because of all the baby powder smelling lessers - but I am absolutely happy that I kept with it.  I love the guys!
7.  Demonica/Lords of Deliverance - Larissa Ione

  • Yes, this is actually two separate series - but they are connected, so I've included both.  I saw the first book in the Demonica series on the shelf for a couple of weeks - picked it up, read the blurb, put it back.  It seemed so different - a demon hospital run by demons.  I took the plunge - bought the book and fell in love.  This is an amazing world!
8.  Lords of the Underworld - Gena Showalter

  • The first book in this series was all over Myspace (before I had a blog) and I was intrigued by the cover as much as the blurb.  I was hooked from the first chapter and have since tried all of Ms. Showalter's series - but this one is my favorite.
9.  Morganville Vampires - Rachel Caine

  • My daughter borrowed the first book in this series from her BFF in 9th grade.  She enjoyed it and said I might as well.  It was a short book, I had the time - so I read it.  I loved the concept of a town full of vampires - and one young woman who plays such a huge role in their 'lives'.
10.  Outlander - Diana Gabaldon

  • I found the first book in this series at the used book store.  I actually picked it up for my mother - but ended up reading it myself.  I was floored.  This book came alive for me and is still one of my all time favorites.  Even though the last book was a bit of a disappointment and we have to wait so long for new installments - Jaime and Claire will always hold a place in my heart. 

7 comments:

Anne said...

Love your list- I am a huge Outlander fan and I am also eagerly awaiting the next book in the series!

Giselle said...

I love the Sookie series. And I read the first 15 or so of the In Death series too and it's a great series!

Giselle
Xpresso Reads

Anna said...

Six of these series are my favorites as well. Each one more addicting then the other. :)

TP said...

Love this list! I really need to get to Outlander soon - I've heard it's amazing!

fishgirl182 said...

a good topic! i love sookie, demonica and bdb as well. i really can't wait for the new jr ward book to come out. tohr needs his own story!

Lexi said...

Oh Jamie, how I miss him. I wish it didnt take so long to get to read more of our red haired highlander.

Unknown said...

I agree with you on #3 and #10. But the In Death series, but some of the later books in the series just isn't as good. And while I enjoy #6, what the book I really loved was Zsadist's story ... the rest was more because I wanted to know JM's story.