Saturday, July 7, 2018

My Week in Review: 6/30/18-7/7/18



I hope all of you in the States had a wonderful 4th.  :)  We always go to my Mama's for a cook out and time with family.  It was wonderful.  

This weeks' genre theme: Angels and Demons

Sparrow Man by M R Pritchard - 4 Stars ****


Meg Clark has turned out to be everything her father and the people of her little North Country town of Gouverneur, NY, have been saying her whole life: nothin’ but a piece of white trash. In an effort to hide her past and turn herself around, she spent her inheritance from her dead mother on the perfect little house with a white picket fence. Then something terrible happened and Meg got sent to county lockup so her fiancé, Jim, wouldn’t have to. And then everyone started waking up…dead.

Good thing escaping from County wasn’t hard. Jim told her exactly how to get free. Now Meg is running and the walking dead are following. In a last ditch effort to find weapons to protect herself, Meg finds Sparrow instead. A tall, strange man with a quirk, Sparrow has an obsession with feathers and the only goal that’s on his mind is finding an old barn on Route 37 with a snowy owl in its rafters.


Meg’s headed to Kingston, where she and Jim agreed to meet if they ever got separated. But sometimes, crossing the border brings more than just freedom and protection and safety. Sometimes it brings questions that someone like Meg would prefer not to answer. And everyone keeps asking questions, including Sparrow. He thinks she’s hiding something and he’s not impressed by her stories of the sins she’s been committing all her life. While Sparrow’s the one who’s a bit cracked in the head, it never occurs to Meg that she could be the one who’s not remembering something. Like what really happened that day she killed those seven men.

Deadly Divine by Emily Fox - 4 Stars ****


Can Tara survive a world where the adults have become literal monsters and demons lurk around every corner?

Tara and her friends are struggling to provide for the Community in the wake of the apocalypse. They need to go out on raids to collect provisions, but this puts them right in the path of all that wants to kill them.
But someone has to do it.

Hope came in the form of the angelic Divines, chosen to battle the demonics and rid the world of the taint it now has.

Caught between a battle of extreme forces, Tara must find a way to protect those she loves and survive.

Wings of Flesh and Bones by Cathrina Constantine - 4 Stars ****



An Angel. A Witch. A Demon. And A Choice.

Creatures from outer realms suck, as any gatekeeper worth their salt will tell you. Welcome to Rogan’s life, an orphaned seventeen-year-old who lives and trains with other misfits under her uncle’s roof, keeping Earth safe from non-human realm jumpers. Rogan’s biggest issue concerns her uncle’s short leash with her freedom—that is of course, until she’s taken by a notorious witch, and her life begins to unravel. Soon, the supernatural beauty discovers there’s a reason her uncle kept such a tight lock on her whereabouts, and that she has more than angel blood running through her veins.

Eighteen-year-old Max is an angel, and Rogan’s mentor and guardian. He’s well aware of her tenacious inability to obey orders, though he also knows she’s a fierce fighter. When he’s involved in a scheme that ultimately gets Rogan kidnapped, he must battle his way back to her in an attempt to save her from the darkness threatening to possess her.

Straight to Hell by Jane Hinchey - 4 Stars ****


Everything you think you know is about to change.

My name is Lucifer. You can call me Lucy – I’m also known as the Devil and Satan, though why my idiot brothers came up with those nicknames is beyond me. I’m an Arch Angel and I run Hell. Yup, I’m the CEO.

Hell is easy. Hell runs like a well-oiled machine. Punishment befitting your sins is carried out and once your sentence is done, voilà, you get to go to Heaven. Simple. Easy.

Until suddenly there’s a blip on the radar. A breach. Some numbnuts on earth are trying to open a portal to another dimension. A very bad, very terrifying, very deadly dimension. So instead of my simple life in Hell, I end up earth side, where nothing is as it seems, looking for the soul-stealing monster, avoiding the grumpy angel sent from Heaven and finding out my brothers Michael and Gabriel are twats. That last part’s not true – I’ve known they were twats all along.

With an unexpected fondness for my new human friends as a distraction, and my demonic presence stirring up a shit show of epic proportions, all I want to do is go back to my peaceful life in Hell. But someone has to save the world. It may as well be me.

Legion Born by F F John - 4 Stars ****


My name is Vaughn Prentiss and my whole life was a lie.

I’d had one goal--prove that an orphan from Baltimore could become the youngest partner at my law firm.

That all changed the day I started seeing monsters. Nobody else noticed these mami watas, zwarts and other demon spawn. With the help of a former witch, I discovered Lucifer was my uncle and that a prophecy foretold I’d bring about his downfall. Unless he killed me and took my soul.

I have a lot to live for and I don’t like the idea of Lucifer using my soul to bring humanity to its knees.

My name is Vaughn Prentiss and I’m going to fight to take my place as Legion Born. Lucifer has no idea what’s in store for him.

That's a wrap.  I hope you see something you'd like to read.  

As always, thanks for stopping by.

~Michelle 


No comments: