Saturday, September 1, 2018

My Week in Review: 8/25/18-9/1/18



I was very pleased with this weeks' list of reads.  I found a couple of new to me authors and that always makes me happy - top that off with this was my vacation week - and put me down as one happy camper.  :)

This weeks' theme: Magic and Mayhem

True Magic by Colin Sims - 4 Stars ****



A hexed wizard. A reformed succubus. LA’s supernatural underground will never be the same …

UCLA sophomore François Lemieux had thought his biggest challenge would be scoring a summer internship. Everything changes, though, when a trio of vampires tries to run his car off the road. He’s saved by a mysterious, heavily armed girl named Cassie Chu, but his troubles are far from over.

It turns out Cassie is a succubus who works for the Supernatural Intelligence Agency. She informs François that he’s a wizard who was hexed at birth to prevent him from casting spells. If that weren’t enough, evil forces in a magical underground he never knew existed are out for his blood. To survive, François partners up with the beautiful yet eccentric Cassie to learn the ins and outs of magic. He barely has a chance to study the basics when a prominent alchemist goes missing and a destructive power falls into the wrong hands.

If François and Cassie can’t track down the alchemist in time, the new world he’s grown to love may soon come to a bitter end …

Wayward Magic by Meredith Nisse - 4 Stars ****


I have two choices. Unleash the dark magic inside of me. Or die.


I had always been an outcast. I was born without magic into one of the most powerful magical families in the world and shunned from birth. My family believed that power was worth any price and anyone without it was less than worthless. But when my powers finally erupted in a violent display, I only had two choices: embrace the darkness of my magic or run.

So I ran.

My rules are simple: no magic and absolutely no contact with the magical underworld.

These rules have kept me safe from my family for the last year, even if that means hiding out among the humans and pretending to be one of them.

But when my past catches up to me in the form of a deadly beautiful demon who wants my power for his own, my rules can’t help me. And I have to fight back or die.

And power corrupts even the best intentions.

Shady Magic by K V Adair - 4 Stars ****


After a disastrous run-in with a 300-pound frog-demon, I have one last chance to prove to my brother I’m ready to face the next big bad by his side.

Otherwise, it’s bye-bye family business and hello solo life in a galaxy far, far away.

So, when a half-angel teenager goes missing, I see the opportunity to solve my first case and show him I can be the Robin to his Batman, the Watson to his Sherlock, the Spock to his Kirk.

Besides, I’m not the type of girl who stays home and bakes cookies while the heroes go save the day.

But there’s this pesky little complication in my way, Lucas--part angel, part pain in my ass, and completely my type.

If I were smart, I'd put a few dimensions between us.

But Lucas is the only lead I got. And by lead… I mean bait.

Something nasty is targeting angelic half-breeds and taking them out.

And Lucas is next on the fanatic freak’s list.

Chasing Magic by Gena D Lutz - 4 Stars ****


Anika Webb is an extremely talented witch with certain goals in mind; pass the final hex-trial at Mystic Manor, and spend the rest of her free time tussling beneath the sheets with her hunky-warlock lover, Drake.


But with all good intentions, evil will fatefully intercede.

After a jealous foe unleashes a hailstorm of mischief onto an unsuspecting small-town, Anika finds herself battling a volatile spell; where all bets are off, and magic will fly.

Institute of Magic by Linsey Hall - 4 Stars ****


Where winning means survival

According to legend, I’m supposed to be some kind of all-powerful DragonGod—gifted with the magic of gods. Instead, I’m a dud. In fact, I'm currently failing out of the Undercover Protectorate’s magical institute.

It's the supernatural version of Scotland Yard, and I’ve got one chance left to earn my place here. To do so, I have to compete in a deadly race across the world. In order to win, I need to survive. And I’ll need the help of a sexy and powerful shifter mage named Lachlan Munroe.

When we figure out that the race is rigged, Lachlan and I must rely on each other to make it through. But will I be able to learn enough magic to save my life?

I had a very enjoyable time with these reads.  I hope you see something you like.  

As always, thank you for stopping by.

~Michelle 

No comments: