Saturday, January 19, 2019

My Week in Review: 1/12/19-1/19/19


As I'm sitting here typing this blog it is pouring rain - we are about to need a boat.  Last year (2018) was the second wettest year on record here and 2019 is starting out just as soggy.  Oh well, rainy days are great days to curl up with a book.  :)

These are the books I want to share with you today:

Three Mages and a Margarita by Annette Marie - 4 Stars ****



Broke, almost homeless, and recently fired. Those are my official reasons for answering a wanted ad for a skeevy-looking bartender gig.

It went downhill the moment they asked for a trial shift instead of an interview--to see if I'd mesh with their "special" clientele. I think that part went great. Their customers were complete jerks, and I was an asshole right back. That's the definition of fitting in, right?

I expected to get thrown out on my ass. Instead, they ... offered me the job?

It turns out this place isn't a bar. It's a guild. And the three cocky guys I drenched with a margarita during my trial? Yeah, they were mages. Either I'm exactly the kind of takes-no-shit bartender this guild needs, or there's a good reason no one else wants to work here.

So what's a broke girl to do? Take the job, of course--with a pay raise.

The family Spells by C M Stunich - 4 Stars ****


My new motorcycle riding soulmate is half-demon, half-witch and all douche.


A douche who hates my other three soulmates. He’s a tattooed bad boy with a bad attitude, and he’s definitely not into thrice-married me with four kids under four. He’s also in desperate need of an erectile dysfunction spell. Seems the dickhead can only get hard when I’m around.

Owning a potion shop, running a coven of witches, and spending time with my four kids and their half-vampire, half-werewolf, and half-fae fathers is a lot--even for a superwoman like me. But if I have to give the demon asshole what he wants to get him to help with a spell for my cursed mother, I’ll do it.

Even if it means my family will never be complete, that the Oracle’s prediction of me having four soulmates, four husbands to share a life with, is all a lie … I’ll do it. And I’ll do it with my witch’s hat tipped, my little black dress pressed, and my broom in hand.

Beneath the Fallen City by Jamie A Waters - 3 Stars ***


Some secrets are better left buried...

Kayla is a scavenger, driven to search the ruins of abandoned cities for artifacts in exchange for critical life-saving supplies. But, the rarest artifacts are found in the most dangerous ruins—those under control by the OmniLab traders.

Carl is one of those traders—and Kayla’s invaded his district. He’s determined to stop her and the best way to do that is to recruit her. The only problem?

Kayla hates traders.

When a powerful man intent on revenge starts hunting her, Kayla realizes the only way to save herself may be to accept Carl’s offer. But that would mean surrendering to OmniLab and giving up everything she knows.

Only everything isn’t quite what it seems.

Including OmniLab.

And Kayla’s in a lot of trouble.

The Last Vampire by R A Steffan - 3 Stars ***


There’s a smokin’ hot dead guy locked in my garden shed.

That part’s bad enough. But now, he’s trying to get out.

Growing up, my father always told me that I’d come to a bad end, just like my mom did when I was a kid. Hearing that kind of stuff when you’re little eventually gets to a girl, but I can’t say I ever expected my ‘bad end’ to involve an angry vampire with a severe case of iron deficiency and a panty-melting English accent.

Maybe I shouldn’t be surprised. Ever since my mother was assassinated, I’ve felt like there was something vast and frightening hidden beneath the fabric of the world. Something none of us are supposed to know about.

So far, finding out I was right hasn’t been nearly as satisfying as I’d hoped. I guess the trick will be staying alive long enough to shout ‘I told you so’ from the rooftops.

But before I can do that, I really need to figure out if the vampire who just bit me is one of the good guys or not.

The Ghost Hunter Next Door by Danielle Garrett - 
3 Stars ***


The first rule of being a ghost whisperer: Don’t tell anyone.

Seriously. Don’t.

Sure, it might sound harmless. A fun party trick, even. I assure you, it’s not.

How do I know? Well, let’s just say that I’ve had a lot of experience with this sort of thing, and nine times out of ten, it turns into an all-consuming disaster.

Being plagued by needy ghosts twenty-four/seven is one thing; being harassed by a horde of curious—or worse, grieving—flesh-and-blood people is an entirely different circus. I mean really, who wants to hold an impromptu séance in the middle of the cereal aisle? Not me, and the manager of the grocery store probably isn’t too crazy about the idea, either.

So, that’s it. If you’re a ghost whisperer, just keep your mouth shut and act normal. Ghosts? What 
ghosts?

Now, if only I would start listening to my own advice …

That's another week for me.  I hope you are reading something wonderful.

As always, thank you for stopping by.

~Michelle

No comments: